Monday, October 29, 2012

Gaining Job Search Clarity

Several months after beginning my job search, I have made an important discovery that has changed my trajectory. I realized, after some thought provoking discussions, that I was not only unfocused, but actually moving in the wrong direction.  I was heading backwards to what I used to do, not forwards to what I want to do.  It was an "AHA" moment for me.

In fact, I have been moving in the right direction and the wrong direction simultaneously. I have a split-personality, so to speak. I failed to see that my personal persona and my professional persona should actually be integrated. My branding message is inconsistent across platforms. My Facebook profile and blog reflect my personal brand.  But, my professional persona does not clearly reflect who I am now. My Linkedin profile, resume, pitch, etc. are based on who I was and what I did in the past. 

Although I have done self-assessment and job planning in the past, I am in a different place now.  I need to stop and re-assess where I am going and what I am doing, again. In my personal life I have a clear brand, but it does not carry over into my professional life, and it should. 

My job search has been a journey of self-discovery on which I have had breakthroughs and gained clarity.  Before this epiphany, I was feeling frustrated and disappointed. Now, I feel re-focused and re-energized. I know I am heading in the right direction.  Following are the next steps I will take:
  1. Review personal branding statement & adapt for professional use. 
  2. Consistently communicate revised brand message across all marketing materials.
  3. Find the right target market for my blog and grow my following.
  4. Share my job search experiences with other struggling job seekers, especially parents transitioning back to work
  5. Explore opportunities to gain experience in different areas of social media and digital marketing.  
Stay tuned for the continuing job search saga of Marketer Mom....

No comments:

Post a Comment