Friday, May 21, 2010

Celebrating Moms

Reposition yourself to re-enter the workforce; join me on my personal branding journey.

This week I'd like to put on my mom's hat for a change and consider what it means to be a mother.  My friend sent me a great video entitled Momisms which was circulating for mother's day and I just loved it. Watching it made me think of my mother and myself with my daughter and how all mothers can relate to the experience which is a common bond between us.

A mom is a director, she directs the lives of her children so that her household runs efficiently. She is a teacher, adviser and counselor, encouraging her offspring to learn social competency and lead happy, healthy, independent lives. She is a role model, remember actions speak louder than words. She is a protector, a cheerleader, a friend. She is always on your side. She wants the best for you. She is your most powerful ally.

I am proud to be a mom and I don't want to downplay that in my job search. In fact, I'd like to incorporate it into my job search, if I can. Leapfrog is a company that I would really like to work for. It's a company that makes educational toys for children. Don't you think that's a great fit for a Mom? I am totally in tune with their target market. Interestingly, the company is mostly run by men (it's a software company). Anyway, my plan is to put together some sort of presentation for them that introduces me and what I can do for their company. I did a similar marketing project for Avon before I started with them and it landed me the job.  Putting forth extra effort makes you stand out as a candidate. It's a great way to differentiate yourself. Oops, my marketing hat is back on!!

Moms are hard workers and great organizers. They know how to prioritize and have social skills.  Be proud of what you are and what you have to give. Don't hide it, acknowledge it and integrate it into your work life.

See you next Friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment