Friday, April 9, 2010

What Do You Want to Do?

Reposition yourself to re-enter the workforce; join me on my personal branding journey.

Once we understand our strengths, weaknesses, skills and interests, the next step is to decide where we want to go. I saw a great quote from Alice in Wonderland in the Careerbright Blog .

Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
Alice: I don't much care where.
Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go. 

Knowing where you want to go is an important first step in getting there. So, how do we know? Basically, I want to continue on the career path that I was previously on, so I don't have much decision making to do. But, if you are unclear, then you must come up with some choices. According to Norman J. Meshriy, M.S., N.C.C., a career counselor based in San Francisco, CA, a good starting place is brainstorming alternatives. Next, consider the wants and needs you came up with in the values exercise and rate your career alternatives against these. For a good match, you want a career or occupation that meets most of your criteria.  Following are some resources to give you some ideas if you are truly at a loss or at this for the first time.
My example: I want a product marketing or branding position with a firm that has similar values to mine, and the vision and resources to create exciting and effective marketing campaigns.

See you next Friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment