Thursday, February 18, 2010

Welcome to Marketer Mom's Makeover Blog

Reposition yourself to re-enter the workforce;  join me on my personal branding journey.

Returning to work after being a stay-at-home mother? Concerned about achieving work life balance? You are not alone. Join me as I assess my strengths and values, target jobs that I want and explore the job market, prepare my resume and brush up on interviewing skills and, ultimately, find a job that I love.

There are many different career development sites out there that attempt to show you what is necessary to find a good job.  They are a great resource and I intend to use them in my job search. I will post links I like on my blog so that you can access these sites as well. 

What makes this blog different is that I will actually go about doing the work myself so you'll have a real live example of what to do.  And, of course, I hope you will comment on what I am doing so that I can present myself in the best possible light. Your comments will keep me from getting tunnel vision.  I will keep my blog fresh by posting on a new topic every Friday,  so check me out every weekend.

My first topic will be the career decision-making process.  This is just to give you some food for thought about the upcoming journey. The first step in any decision-making process is self-assessment.  There are many great tools available for career self-assessment which we will cover in the next few weeks. But, to start the process we need to ask ourselves a few questions; Who am I? What Can I do? What are my options? How do I get there? (1)  We will use these questions as the framework for making our decisions. My next blog will cover what these questions entail in more detail.

1. Geifman, Susan. Career Development Model, JFK University Career Development Center, Orinda, CA, 1987.

See you next Friday...

6 comments:

  1. I look forward to following your progress back into the work world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great way to get things started!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is an old book, What Color is your Parachute, that you need to look at. It has some personal strategies that are doable and that WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool Al! Great idea! xoxoJude

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Color is Your Parachute is the first job search strategy book I ever read! It is good. A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Allison. Looking forward to read about your findings. It may come in handy for myself in approximately 2 years time. emilia

    ReplyDelete